If you want to make congee easily in your Instant Pot, just follow this recipe. Few ingredients and clean-up make congee a breeze to make.
Instant Pot Congee Recipe
- 2 pounds Bone-In Chicken
- 3 whole Green Onions Sliced up.
- 3 whole Shittake Mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice Uncooked.
- 1/3 cup Peanuts Chopped up.
- 1/4 bunch Cilantro This is optional.
- 2 inches Fresh Ginger
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil Toasted.
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Salt
- Peel and slice the ginger, and crush the cloves of garlic. Slice the mushrooms into thin strips. Remove the skin from the chicken pieces.
- Place the uncooked rice in the bottom of the Instant Pot and add the crushed garlic, sliced ginger, and sliced mushrooms on top. Lay the chicken pieces over the rice and aromatics. Finally, add seven cups of water.
- Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Turn the steam release valve to the "sealing" position. Press the "porridge" button to begin cooking (no need to adjust the time or pressure). After ten seconds the pot will begin to heat and build pressure. Once it reaches the required temperature and pressure, the display will begin to count down 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, the pot will switch to the "keep warm" setting and begin to drop in pressure. Allow the pot to reduce in pressure naturally, without opening the steam release valve. When the float valve falls back to the down position, open the steam valve, and then open the lid.
- Using tongs, carefully remove the chicken pieces and place them on a clean cutting board. Use two forks to shred the meat and remove the bones. Return the shredded meat to the pot.
- Stir and taste the porridge, and add salt as needed (I added 1/2 Tbsp). Only add enough salt to amplify the flavors, but leave room for the addition of soy sauce as a topping.
- Ladle the congee into each bowl and drizzle a small amount (1 tsp) of toasted sesame oil and soy sauce on top of each bowl. Sprinkle the sliced green onions, cilantro leaves, and chopped peanuts over top, then serve.