Why clutter your countertops with appliances, when you can just use one compact multi-cooker? An all-in-one device, the Instant Pot has grabbed the attention of countless food fanatics around the world. Convenient and easy-to-use, it has become one of the hottest kitchen gadgets on the market today. Perfect for busy facilities, the cooker can easily be used to prepare healthy yet delectable meals in a fraction of time.
What does the Instant Pot Do?
A brand of multi-cooker, the Instant Pot was designed to consolidate multiple kitchen appliances into one. Not only can it be used as a slow cooker and a pressure cooker, but it can also steam foods, rice, porridge, and more. Depending on the model, some are even capable of baking cakes, or making yogurt with the press of a button- making food has never been easier!
Though there might be a learning curve for new users, the device is generally easy to operate with its clearly labelled buttons and settings.
The Different Parts of the Instant Pot
As its name implies, the Instant Pot consists of an inner pot, in which you place the ingredients for cooking. Made of food-grade stainless steel, the entire part can be placed safely into the dishwasher.
From there, there’s also the cooker base, heating element, lid, anti-block shield, and sealing ring. Each an important element, the Instant Pot cannot function properly without any of the said components.
How Many Models of Instant Pot Are There?
Since the release of the first Instant Pot, a handful of models have been added to the line. Currently, there are five main versions, these include:
– Instant Pot Lux: The “oldest” model on the market, it functions as a six-in-one (it is not capable of making yogurt)
– Instant Pot Duo/Duo Plus: The most successful model, it serves as a seven-in-one
– Instant Pot Smart: Comes with an app that can be connected to the device via bluetooth
– Instant Pot Gem: More of a slow cooker; is not capable of pressure cooking
– Instant Pot Ultra: The newest edition, it boasts a new “ultra” option that can be used to customize cooking time, and pressure level
As you can probably expect, the newer generations generally come with fancier additions. Having said that, they’re essentially the same in that they all feature the same standard functions (i.e. ability to slow cook, pressure cook, make rice, steam food, etc.). Below, we will be focusing on the newer model, the Instant Pot Ultra.
More About the Instant Pot Ultra
Released in April 2017, the Instant Pot Ultra is the newest model from the renowned company. A significant step-up from its predecessors, it boasts a number of new features- one of which includes a new, vibrant display. Not only is it capable of functions such as making yogurt, but it can also be used for sous-vide cooking, sanitizing, and more. For instance, it comes with a new “Ultra” mode, which allows you to customize the cooking time, temperature level, as well as pressure level.
– Includes a cooking indicator, that lets you know how close your food is to being done
– Includes an altitude adjustment system for those living in higher altitudes
– Comes with a new “Ultra” button for custom programming
– Includes “Sterilize”, “Cake”, and “Egg” programs
– Replaces 10 of the most common kitchen appliances
– Utilizes a central dial system for added precision in adjustment and program selection
Are there any cons for the Instant Pot Ultra?
Considering its differences (especially the new interface), there might be a slight learning curve for those who are used to the previous models. Aside from that, it only comes in one size- 6 quart. If you’re looking for something bigger or smaller, you may have to go back to some of the earlier Instant Pots.
Perhaps the most obvious of all however, is its cost. The newest addition to the Instant Pot lineup, it’s not surprising to know that it currently bares the highest price tag. If you intend on making use of all of its functions however, it’s probably a worthwhile investment.
What is the Fagor Lux?
Now that we’ve gone over the Instant Pot, let’s take a look at another popular brand of multi-cooker, the Fagor Lux.
Available in three sizes, the Fagor Lux is very similar to the Instant Pot in that it is capable of pressure cooking, slow cooking, rice cooking, and making yogurt. Not only that, but it also comes with the abilities to steam, saute, and simmer foods. Complete with 12 preset buttons, the cooker is known for reducing cooking times by up to 70%.
Differences between the Fagor Lux and the Instant Pot Ultra
Despite their similarities however, there are a number of differences that set the two brands of multi-cookers apart. Let’s take a look at them below.
– The Fagor Lux’s delay timer goes up to 6 hours, where as the Instant Pot Ultra is capable of going up to 24 hours
– The Instant Pot Ultra’s interface is generally much more easy to use than that of the Fagor Lux
– The Fagor Lux uses 1300 watts while the Instant Pot Ultra uses 1000 watts
– The Fagor Lux comes with a 10 year warranty, while the Instant Pot Ultra comes with a 1 year warranty
– The Instant Pot Ultra is more noticeably more expensive than the Fagor Lux
– The Fagor Lux’s cooking pot is made of a ceramic (nonstick), while the Instant Pot Ultra’s is made of food-grade stainless steel
– The Fagor Lux has a few extra safety features, these include a locking lid and automated pressure release
Fagor Lux Vs. Instant Pot Ultra: Strengths and Weaknesses
Fagor Lux Strengths:
– Features a ceramic nonstick pot that is tougher than traditional coatings
– Some users have reported that the Fagor Lux takes less time to heat up
– Comes in a variety of colours (e.g. silver, copper, white, champagne)
– Comes with added safety features one of which includes an automatic pressure valve
– Manual is clear, thorough, and easy to understand
– Cooking pot is dishwasher safe
– Replacement gaskets can easily be purchased on Amazon
Fagor Lux Weaknesses:
– Slight learning curve for new users
– Some models of the Fagor Lux can be more expensive
– Can easily be moved accidentally due to being lightweight
– The handle does not come with a lid holder
Instant Pot Ultra Strengths:
– Sleek and modern design that is easy to use with a pushable dial
– Comes with a customizable temperature setting
– Reliable product
– Features one of the best management systems as far as electric pressure cookers go
– Uses less electricity (i.e. 1000 watts)
Instant Pot Ultra Weaknesses:
– Does not come with a non-stick inner pot
– Only available in one color
– The most expensive model of Instant Pot on the market
– Does not come with an automatic pressure valve
Should I Get a Fagor Lux or an Instant Pot Ultra?
Ultimately, this depends on what you’re looking for. For instance, if you’re interested in preset programs and an easier-to-use interface by one of the bestselling brands of multi-cookers, the Instant Pot Ultra might be a good option.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for something with a non-stick pot, you probably want to go for the Fagor Lux.
At the end of the day however, no matter which device you’ve chosen, you’ll still be able to prepare the same meals more or less. If anything, you might want to take into consideration their different warranties; while the Instant Pot Ultra comes with one year of warranty, the Fagor Lux multi-cooker guaranteed for ten years (given that you’ve properly registered the multi-cooker).
Where can I Purchase a Fagor Lux or an Instant Pot Ultra?
As you can probably expect, both the Fagor Lux and the Instant Pot Ultra can be found on Amazon. If you’re not in a rush to purchase the cooker, you may wish to wait for their next sale as the web giant tends to discount their kitchen appliances from time to time.
We also recommend this scrub brush set on Amazon.com if you are already there!
Of course, you can also purchase the multi-cookers in a number of retail stores.