Here is a very simple and hearty recipe for a pot roast cooked in the Instant Pot. This recipe is pretty quick and easy to put together.
Pot Roast Recipe for Instant Pot
- 3 pounds beef roast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika this is an optional ingredient
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound red baby potatoes
- 1 whole yellow onion you should chop into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 4 whole carrots chop into medium pieces
- The first step to making the pot roast in the Instant Pot is you need to turn the Instant Pot on to the Saute setting.
- Grab a small bowl and then add all of your dry ingredients together. This includes the paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Rub your dry mixture over top of the roast so that all sides are evenly coated.
- Drizzle your oil into the Instant Pot and then place the roast inside after 30 seconds. You do not want to move the roast for a good three minutes, which can help sear the meat. Turn the roast over for another three to four minutes. Repeat this process until all sides of your roast have browned up.
- Now, change the setting to "Pressure Cook" on the Instant Pot and set the timer to 60 minutes. Add in your onion, potatoes, and carrots.
- Pour the beef broth and worcestershire sauce over top of the roast and vegetables. Put your lid on and then lock it. The vent should be in the sealed position.
- Once the timer has expired, allow for the Instant Pot to sit for about 10 minutes, This ensures that a natural lowering of pressure is happening.
- After about 10 minutes, you can turn the vent on to the release position. Before taking the lid off, ensure that the float valve has sunk to the bottom.
- Remove the roast and vegetables from the Instant Pot. You need to remove the pieces from the broth itself, which is still inside of the Instant Pot. Once you do that, move the Instant Pot over to the "Soup" feature. In a bowl, wisk the corn starch and water together.
- After the broth in the Instant Pot begins to boil, you stir in your corn starch. Let this thicken up for a bit and then add some salt and pepper to season.
- At this point, you can pour your gravy mixture on top of your roast, and it is ready to serve.